WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE STAND FOR
NEA Members for Our Revolution support the following platform positions from the national Our Revolution organization, which we believe to be in the great interest of both education workers and students:
- Make tuition free at public colleges and universities.
- Allow students to use need-based financial aid and work study programs to make college debt-free.
- Substantially cut student loan rates, stop the federal government from making a profit on student loans, and allow young people to refinance student loans at today's low interest rates.
- Increase the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 an hour by 2020.
- Put at least 13 million Americans to work by investing $1 trillion over five years towards rebuilding our nation's crumbling infrastructure.
- Pave the way for a swift and fair legislative roadmap to citizenship for the eleven million undocumented immigrants. Enhance access to justice and reverse the criminalization of immigrants.
- End the private for-profit prison racket in America, and the mass-incarceration of nonviolent young people who do not pose a serious threat to our society.
- Address the readiness and achievement disparities of student groups by providing access to tools and supports that allow all students the opportunity to realize their full potential.
- Create a federally administered single-payer health care program that provides comprehensive coverage for all Americans.
- Sign into law the Equality Act, the Every Child Deserves a Family Act, and any other bill that prohibits discrimination against LGBT people.
We further believe that our union should work to support this agenda, and that we should endorse candidates based on their support for it.